Types of Visas

In most cases, citizens of foreign countries require a visa to enter the United States.

Although the visa does not permit entry to the U.S. it does indicates that your application has been reviewed by a U.S. consular officer at an American embassy or consulate and that it has been determined that you are eligible to enter the country for a specific purpose.

Visas allow you to travel to the United States as far as the port of entry (airport or land border crossing) and ask the immigration officer to allow you to enter the country. Only immigration officers have the authority to permit entry into the United States. They decide how long you can stay for a particular visit. Immigration matters are the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

There are two categories of U.S. visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant.

Immigrant visas are for people who wish to be in the U.S. permanently. These visas are also known as "Green Cards."

Nonimmigrant visas
are for people with permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wish to be in the U.S. for a temporary period of time.

  Nonimmigrant Visas

U.S. law requires that those who apply for nonimmigrant visas offer evidence that they don’t intend to immigrate to the United States. Visa officers at U.S. embassies and consulates have complete discretion in determining visa eligibility.

ecause each person’s personal situation is different, people applying for the same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. Under U.S. law, the authority to approve or deny a visa rests solely with the consular officers. These officers have complete discretion in determining the sufficiency of the documentation submitted in support of a visa application. Officers may request additional information or documentation depending on their assessment of each individual’s situation. Common examples of Non-immigrant Visa Categories are: Temporary Workers (H, L, O, P, E), Students (F-1, J-1, M-1), and Visitors(B-1, B-2).

  Immigrant Visas

Permanent Resident Visas (“Green Cards”) are available to people in several different categories. All others must have a relative or potential employer apply for them.

For details contact us or visit the following web site. U.S. Citizens and Immigration Services.


tel :212.308.3999 | fax: 212.317.2946